Family dentistry encompasses a number of services that aim to prevent dental problems from developing so that you can keep your smile healthy, no matter what your age. The leading causes of tooth loss are gum disease and tooth decay and it’s important to note that both disease can be prevented or controlled through regular dental cleanings and check-ups at least twice a year.
Dental Exams & Cleanings
A comprehensive dental exam is part of your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, Dr. Caminschi and your hygienist will also perform the following:
- Diagnostic Digital X-rays: Essential for detection of decay, tumours, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
Your Professional Dental Cleaning includes:
Removal of calculus (tartar): Tartar is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Tartar forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed by special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
- Fresh Breath: The removal of plaque and tartar will refresh your breath and give you the confidence to share your smile and feel good about yourself.